Warrior, there you are!
Happy Scoliosis Awareness Month!

Ever since my posts about scoliosis went viral on social media, I've been receiving messages about my Scoliosis story. Everything you need to know - answers to FAQs, my story, PWD card & treatment is here.

Scoliosis is a disorder that causes an abnormal curve of the spine, or backbone. Symptoms include uneven shoulders, one shoulder blade that appears more prominent than the other, uneven waist, & one hip higher than the other.

I often get asked if an accident caused my condition. Doctors don't know what causes the most common type of scoliosis — although it appears to involve hereditary factors, because the disorder tends to run in families. My father and some siblings have mild (non-invasive) scoliosis.

My Story

It was during a CAT formation in 2014, in an array of students squatting on the auditorium floor, when the person seated behind me noticed an irregular bulge on my back.

Unbothered but a bit alarmed, we went to my first consultation with an orthopedic doctor at the Visayas Community Medical Center.

I was diagnosed with severe idiopathic scoliosis.
Two curves formed my spine an S, one was 40+° & the other was 52°. The doctor recommended the only option he said we had left: spine surgery.
We opted to ask for a second opinion at the Cebu Orthopedic Institute, and received the same advise.
Both doctors were spine surgeons, so later I learned that could be why they don't suggest other alternatives.

I was awakened to know that my condition was more serious than I thought. To ease my mother's hopelessness, I put my summer plans in enrolling in physical activities like martial arts or ballet to a pause.

We explored other options and decided to consult another doctor,
Dr. Jeanne Flordelis in Perpetual Succor Hospital. I was advised to do rehabilitation, & was able to attend to 4 out of the 12 sessions advised. The exercises I was taught in rehab were doable at home, but compliance is reinforced with a physical therapist around.

Last June 2017, I was invited by Scoliosis Philippines Support Group on the celebration of Scoliosis Awareness Month at Cebu Doctors University to talk about my journey with a scoliosis patient. 
As a ramp & image model, I had stories to share about working in an environment that puts a prime on the superficial. In an industry that sets unrealistic standards of beauty, a young girl would easily feel the pressure to conform. It was my first time to be a speaker, let alone be one with health care professionals as my audience.

The S-curve (double curve) made my torso look straight, since both ends of my spine were more or less at the same center, unlike C-curves that are usually more obvious.

I did not feel much of its symptoms on the early years of my diagnosis, but the past few years, long hours of walking would trigger my lower back pains. Perceived problems might arise on pregnancy. Pregnant mothers with scoliosis suffered back pain on the late trimesters of their pregnancy, but it was manageable for some.

Complications

While most people with scoliosis have a mild form of the disorder, scoliosis may sometimes cause complications, including:
  • Lung and heart damage. In severe scoliosis, the rib cage may press against the lungs and heart, making it more difficult to breathe and harder for the heart to pump.
  • Back problems. Adults who had scoliosis as children are more likely to have chronic back pain than are people in the general population.
  • Appearance. As scoliosis worsens, it can cause more noticeable changes — including unlevel shoulders, prominent ribs, uneven hips, and a shift of the waist and trunk to the side. Individuals with scoliosis often become self-conscious about their appearance.

SpineCor brace


The SpineCor brace was introduced by Dr. Anthony Fong of Spinecor to a number of patients during ScolioCare Corp.'s visit to Cebu, thru a discussion in Scoliosis Philippines Support Group led by our founder Amanda Bonife-Kiamko.

Initially I was advised to wear the brace 8 hours per day, and then less when the curve regressed.

My doctor

Doc Ed Oliveros of Peak Physical Therapy & Scoliosis Center - Manila and Davao is the only fully-accredited SpineCor bracer for pediatric and adults in Manila, Visayas & Mindanao so far.

"The first step to your wellness will be to see me by appointment only when I'm in Manila or Davao. The evaluation will be P1000 which covers for a full assessment of your spine to help us fully diagnose the severity of your curve and its effect on the whole body, an interpretation and measurement of your xrays to give us the classification of your scoliosis and the degree of curvature. I will then explain to you your options for managing your spine, and provide you with some exercises that will help you specific to your curve. Our scoliosis program is a commitment for long term therapy since scoliosis cannot be managed in only a few sessions. Each visit in Manila is P1000-1500 (Davao rates are different)depending on the visit package you purchase to lower down your cost per session. For the Spinecor brace, a full spine assessment is needed, then measurements are taken for the brace. If you are a candidate to wear the spinecor brace, it will be ordered from UK which takes 3-4wks to get here. To give us the needed corrective movement of your spine, I will have to customize it to fit you. It costs around P105K depending on the components used, however it could be a little less; and this already includes my professional fees (assessment and bracing fee), taxes and other fees. When you're ready to schedule a visit when im around, please text message my therapists in Manila: Jann Julia Dadivas or Derrick Ramirez at (0936)850-3920.
In Davao you may call (082)305-4111. Peak Scoliosis Center Olympic Heights Tower 3 Unit 6B Eastwood City, Libis QC Tues-Fri 11am to 7pm Sat-Sun 9am-5pm

or
Peak Orthopedic & Sports PT-Scoliosis Center Gold St corner Greenhills drive in Davao City Tues-Fri 930am-730pm Sat 8-5pm - Dr. Ed Oliveros (0917)303-2163"



Dr. Ed is very approachable. It surprises me how he can take my phone calls despite his busy schedule.

Therapy

Aside from the brace, I do therapy in Peak Manila whenever I get to visit. They do the Schroth method.

The Schroth Method is a nonsurgical option for scoliosis treatment. They use exercises customized for each patient to return the curved spine to a more natural position. The goal of the Schroth exercises is to de-rotate, elongate and stabilize the spine in a three-dimensional plane.

To give you an idea, for my case I was instructed to do breathing exercises. This can be done stationary, when I am standing or in public transport for example. The left picture is my normal body structure standing up. The right photo is when I deliberately extended my spine & breathed that way.
 

Since I am based in Cebu, they gave me a home program - a list of exercises I can do at home. I try to do them every morning, but if the center is accessible to me I can do whatever. At this point he is looking into opening Peak Scoliosis Center in Cebu. If you have any leads to a 60-80sqm space accessible to public transportation, please message me.

Dr. Ed also refered me to a Schroth practitioner in Cebu that I have yet to visit. If you want to check it out, here are the details: Dr. Selle Branzuela in UCMed Medical Arts Bldg. suite 304 (inside TitaDocMom Center) docsellebranzuela@gmail.com +639177776494.

Scoliosis Philippines Support Group

Alternative solutions were introduced to me initially because I was frequently updated by our page Scoliosis Philippines Support Group & Scoliosis & Schroth Philippines Support Group.
The founder, Miss Amanda, is full-time in working on this advocacy & has successfully gained recognition from the Department of Health, & the Securities & Exchange Commission. If you know anyone who might be interested in joining one, the pages are helpful in giving hope to scoliosis warriors out there.

PWD Card

A Scoliosis patient may secure a Person with Disability (PWD) card.

Scoliosis only becomes a disability if it cause you restrictions or limitations in your daily activities. If you are functional and within the normal range you are not disabled.

The card comes with priority privileges in queueing & discounts, more or less the same benefits that Senior Citizens enjoy.

I have enjoyed discounts on flights, skipped long queues on restaurants & commutes, & more because of my card.

I contacted our Barangay Office to know the steps.
I secured a copy of my birth certificate.
A medical certificate of my condition was also required, & I utilized the health services of the barangay by going to our Barangay Health Center, brought an x-ray of my spine, & got my certification there free of charge. Your Barangay Health Center should be able to provide one for you too, as long as you have the necessary documents.
I also needed a voter's certification, but since I didn't have one, they accepted my mother's.
I was able to get my card in less than a day.

For information about Mandatory PHILHEALTH coverage for all PWD, click here.
For more information about how to apply a PWD card, click here.

Results


Left shows my x-ray on November 25, 2016, 31° & 40°.
Right shows my x-ray on April 8, 2018 29° & 32°.
In all honesty this is so much progress for someone who doesn't wear the brace with full compliance.
I am looking forward to days where my crooked spine gets to its straightest potential.

Today, I am a full-time student, part-time social media enthusiast, and a Scoliosis warrior. With proper body mechanics, I do home workouts everyday. And because of my story, I am unstoppable.

What’s yours?

Disclaimer: The information contained in these topics is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, it is provided for educational purposes only.
As a reader, you assume full responsibility for how you choose to use this information.
Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider before starting any new treatment or discontinuing an existing treatment. Talk with your healthcare provider about any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Nothing contained in these topics is intended to be used for medical diagnosis or treatment.
The information and materials in this blog should not be used as a substitute for the care and knowledge that your physician can provide to you.