I'd write a transcript of the conversation I had with my family revealing that
the girl who'd slept over on the first night we met,
the one I introduced to my mother the morning after that,
the person I'd been spending too many nights with
is already my girlfriend.

But that never happened.

I am a non-binary feminine female (if by now that sounds confusing, a crash course on SOGIE can help you in understanding LGBTQ+ labels.)
SOGIE is an acronym that stands for Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, and Gender Expression. It is an important piece of our identity that can determine and shape our needs and experiences, and everybody has one! In this light it's important that we help each other understand the complexity of an idea still unfamiliar to many.

In high school I was open to the idea of dating a girl, but I didn't get to experience any romantic inclination to the same sex until I was in college.

Coming out to my family happened when I started bringing my first ever partner to one family's birthday celebration to another, & an anthology of small conversations with family members that made sense about whether what I got was tolerance or acceptance.
I introduced her, by saying her name & what she does for a living, without having to say who she is in my life; like a mutual understanding between me and my family that didn't have to be spoken about.

Eventually, I've had more intimate conversations with my Mother.
I am grateful with how open I can be to her about my relationship, & everything else going on with my life. The acceptance and support I've received is the only validation I need to be able to fearlessly share something as bold as this.

Although I'm this outspoken gay girl trying to make lengths in LGBT representation on social media, offline, oftentimes I'm this girl subtly trying to rub in on some people of the older generation this unconventional identity, in hopes that having brought that up would start a conversation where I could measure their openness & acceptance.



"So who's the guy?" is the question I get asked the most now that I'm in a homosexual relationship. (Well, second to "Don't you want a child?") My girlfriend's profession in a male-dominated industry & her androgynous fashion style easily answers that question, but I beg to differ & not be defined by heteronormative standards. Besides, I'd rather keep between me and her to know if we actually ever switch roles. Kidding. TMI.

Am I ever open to the idea of being with guys/again? I'm not lesbian.
But I've never been happier & completely contented with what I have now.

The LGBT movement is more than a #LoveWins hashtag that looks better with a rainbow emoji, & Pride Month isn't just a season where brands suddenly become allies & items on the market suddenly packaged in rainbow; it's a commemoration of one of the most pivotal riots in LGBT+ history in Stonewall Inn, Manhattan. 

Pride is a long history of protests for LGBTQ+ rights that lives on up to this day.

Youth Against Discrimination featured me as a guest curator for Pride month playlists. Lesbian (curated by me!) Gay Transgender

Bonus: How we met?
Let's just say about 3 years ago,
the pairs were person A&B and C&D.
They all knew each other.

Two years ago
fate shuffled for
A&C to be together.
B&D, still great friends;
A&B, distant old folks.

None of them are in bad terms, or so I think.
And the rest is history. :)

A colorful pride month to you, LGBTQIA+ & allies!